Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Halfway there


halfway there
Originally uploaded by girl_of_bats.
As you can see in the picture, the scarf is coming along nicely - I am now about 10 or 15 rows into the second ball of wool.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice about changing over from the end of the 1st ball of wool to the beginning of the 2nd. The knot is nowhere near as distressingly huge as I feared, and the advice to just knit a couple of rows with the 2nd ball before securing the knot was good - it's pretty inobtrusive. I do, however, need to find out what the best thing is to do with those end-y-bits, as a scarf "pattern" this simple doesn't really have a Wrong Side where I can hide them. Should I snip them off, or sew them into the edges, or across the width of the scarf, or what?

I'm also open to suggestions about what I should try to knit next...

(edited 6th April to add tags.)

2 comments:

dominocat said...

Yay! I'm so proud!

you said in your last knitting post "Knitways? WS? RS facing? Did I neglect to buy the Collins English/Knitterish Dictionary?"

the term knitways really should only be used if you're doing knits and purls, the other is of course purlways (or wise, whichever) RS and WS are right side and wrong side respectively, and again, really only matter if the work is going to look different on the front and the back.

I think you are a knitting natural - this is ace for a first attempt!

I'm not sure about project #2, I'll have a think and see if I can find some patterns.

erasmus (aka jiva) said...

I'd suggest a ribbed scarf next. get used to flipping the wool back and forth.